Africa: The Next Chapter
As Africa enters a new phase in its development, African governments are facing decisions on how to create an attractive environment for economic growth. Commodity prices, currency fluctuations and political instability have challenged these perceptions and cast doubt in the minds of investors.
The Annual Debate will focus on how Africa can respond to the challenges posed by global macroeconomic trends.
12:00 REGISTRATION & NETWORKING LUNCH
Lanre Akinola, Editor, African Business (Chair)
Arnold Ekpe, Honorary President, BCA
13:15 KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Africa for the 21st century
Fred Swaniker, Founder, African Leadership University
13:45 DEBATE: Africa: A continent for the 21st century?
· Urbanisation: Economic boon or demographic powderkeg?
· Brexit and Trump: What impact for Africa?
· Governance: Stuck in a start-stop cycle?
· The Youth: Much talked about, seldom taken seriously?
Moderator: Patrick Smith, Director of Africa Confidential and Editor of the Africa Report
Rolake Akinkugbe, Head of Energy and Natural Resources, FBN Capital
Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Nigeria
Professor Thandika Mkandawire, Professor of African Development, LSE
Dr. Albert Zeufack, Chief Economist for Africa, World Bank
Sihle Zikalala, MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs
14:45 NETWORKING COFFEE
15:15 KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Africa's Economic Outlook 2017
Dr. Yemi Kale, Statistician General, National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria (NBS)
15:35 DEBATE: Finance & Investment: New realities post “Africa Rising”
· Blended finance: Can it unlock the optimal funding solution?
· Private equity: Has the sector already peaked?
· Impact investing: Doing good, but doing well?
· Forex, liquidity, fiscal policy: Who is going to provide the capital to fuel growth?
Moderator: Jonathan Rosenthal, Africa Editor, The Economist
Orli Arav, Director of Investments, Soros Economic Development Fund
Julio Garrido-Mirapeix, Head of International Development Advisory Services, KPMG
Joshua Oigara, Group CEO, Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB)
Babatunde Temitope Soyoye, Managing Partner, Helios Investment Partners LLP
16:20 NETWORKING COFFEE
16:35 KEYNOTE ADDRESS: “Where the future is going to be built…” Understanding Africa’s Tech Sector
Erik Hersman, CEO, BRCK; Co-Founder, Ushahidi
16:50 DEBATE: Africa’s tech revolution: Separating fact from fiction
· What is the impact of tech innovation on sectors such as energy, entertainment and retail?
· Tech hubs: Are governments enabling innovative ecosystems?
· How are companies trying to encourage connectivity and tackle the issue of the 'last 1,000 miles'?
· How has the sector contributed to realising the African Union’s Agenda 2063 visions for female empowerment?
· Will FinTech conquer the challenges surrounding Africa’s fledgling e-commerce markets?
Moderator: Manji Cheto, Vice President, TENEO Intelligence
Emeka Afigbo, Strategic Products Partnerships, Facebook (invited)
Chris Baker-Brian, Co-founder and CTO, BBOXX
Ethel Cofie, Co-founder, Women in Tech Africa, CEO and Founder, Edel Technology
Professor Bitange Ndemo, Lecturer, University of Nairobi's Business School (invited)
17:45 SUMMARY OF THE DAY: Lanre Akinola, Editor, African Business
18:00 DRINKS RECEPTION
sponsored by ABAX
19:15 GALA DINNER