The Law Society, London
Wednesday 20 April 2016
12.00 Registration and networking lunch
12:45 Welcome address
Jonathan Smithers, President, The Law Society
13:00 Chair's Introduction
Arnold Ekpe, Honorary President, Business Council for Africa
13:15 Economic keynote: What is Africa's future role in the global economy?
Sir Paul Collier CBE, Professor of Economics & Public Policy, Blavatnik School Government, University of Oxford
13:40 DEBATE: African affluence; keeping pace with your target consumer
• How significant is Africa's demographic dividend for its future growth?
• What is driving this new consumerism in Africa, what does the future look like and is it sustainable?
• Examining spending power and distribution of growth
• The rise of the international luxury brand in Africa. How to engage with Africa's luxury retail consumers
• Tapping into investment opportunities at a local level by fostering and maintaining local partnerships
14:40 Networking break
15:10 Keynote address
Igho Sanomi, Chief Executive, Taleveras
15:30 DEBATE: How should Africa reduce its power deficit?
• Will renewable energy be the silver bullet for Africa's power crisis?
• What challenges do African governments face to stimulate development? What opportunities exist for British business
• Combining solar, wind and storage for rural electrification- does it, can it work?
• Technology: on and off grid - electricity projects and technology developments
• Oil, gas and coal; what combined role can they play in the future of powering Africa?
16:30 Networking break
16:50 DEBATE: What does the future of Africa's trade and investment landscape look like?
• Development of inter-Africa trade, ECOWAS and the Tripartite Free Trade (TFTA)
• Risk and regulations: recent African government reforms and regulations and what it means for you
• FDI into Africa- who is leading the change?
17:50 Country snapshot: Nigeria
18:15 Closing Remarks
18:30 Drinks reception
19:30 The Gala Dinner